I’d love for someone to point me in the direction of a (working) app to better manage the Ubuntu Unity launcher items. I needed to prefix a “gksudo” on a launcher item for regular use (don’t ask), and couldn’t figure out how you’re supposed to do this. In the meantime I’ve worked this out…
1) Open a terminal window
2) Install gnome-panel with the following:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
3) cd to ~/.local/share/applications/
4) Create a new desktop launcher in this directory with:
gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new <name-of-launcher.desktop>
5) Enter your launcher parameters and save it.
6) Browse to your home directory, press Cntrl-H to show hidden items and navigate to the .local/share/applications folder you made your new shortcut in.
7) Drag it to the Unity Launcher Bar.
Awful, right? There must be a better way…